Monday, December 8, 2008

Ubuntu

For those of you who don't know what Ubuntu is (I figure I should explain a little), it is an Open Source operating system based on the Linux kernel. Linux is an open source kernel based off of Unix, and there are thousands of different Linux distributions for any person out there. There are things like Ubuntu, for the end-user who doesn't know a whole lot about computers, to SlackWare, which is a pretty geek-worthy Operating System. Because it is open source, anybody can edit it, and create any flavor they want. There are also small (scaled down) versions of linux IE Puppy Linux, for old crappy computers who need a boost. There are server versions and everything you could hope for. The one thing is, if you don't know squat about computers, Linux probably isn't for you. Ubuntu was the version that I found that I liked, but when I get my desktop (which I will be building for Christmas XD) I want to try out different versions of Linux.

No comments: